This weekend, as the cloudy skies reminded me of the winter, and the scarf kept me warm, I was walking around The Corner when I found a very small book store. I was unaware of its existence, for I had never been on this street before. I enjoy reading. Thus I was immediately attracted to the window shelves, which presented a variety of literary genres and authors.
As I came in, what appeared to be the owner, “welcomed” me. We engaged in a conversation about the store. The prices of the books surprised me. I usually don’t pay less than $15 for a book. However, the prices here were between $6 and $10!
“Why are these books so inexpensive,” I asked the owner.
“Some people move and donate them. Sometimes the publishers overprint books and sell them at a lower price,” he said.
Right at that moment, this small book store in Charlottesville, Virginia became my favorite book store on earth. I have never been able to buy good books at a low price.
“Good books for these prices…you got yourself a client.”
I explored the store for about an hour. I got lost in the halls of a literary world. I ended up buying a book about Thomas Jefferson, the Lawyer. I also bought a novel about Amelia Earhart, the first female pilot to fly solo.
“You’ll see me often around here.” I told the owner as I paid $12.00 for two great books.
Now I am lost in a literary world.
NOTE: Morgan brings a good point in her comment. Whatever happened to inexpensive books? It is definitely an issue of supply and demand. More people buy movies than read books. Thus DVD’s cost less than books.
6 comments:
I was just reading about the print revolution and how when books first became popular they were cheap and accessible and translations reached all parts of the modern world. People craved books because print media was the only media. But now, technology is what many people seek and you can buy a movie for cheaper than a book. Stores like this are few and far between. I agree this is a great find.
wow!!! that's great, im glad u found a new, cheap bookstore that you love!!! Honestly, if I would have walked past that bookstore, I would have kept walking lol. It's so cool how people interests are so different. Anyhoo, yea I also agree with morgans comment, technology is definettely taking over our world. Nowadays people would rather LISTEN to a book on tape or watch the dvd of the book. But, it can't be such a bad thing because the youth today is actually smarter than our generation...
just sayin....
Interesting post! *lost in a literary world. i love ir*
Fascinating blog! I really enjoyed reading the different posts! I just finished reading Michael Tornado's Happy Birthday post to you and it's so cool to see where you are and who you are. Thanks for leaving a comment on my brothers blog! He loved hearing from you and after we read your comment Micaiah (my younger brother) and I both reminisced about the time you came over and ice skated for the first time. (That was so fun btw, and sometimes when we skate we "re-enact" you :P).
I hope your studies are going well...
Lucky you! Congrats on finding that little gem of a bookshop. It sounds wonderful and cozy and perfect. With all the Barnes and Nobles and Borders out there, I think it's lovely there are still small, privately owned shops in this world. :)
When I want cheap books, I head over to Half Price Books, but I'm not sure if you have that over in Virginia....it sells used books at cheap prices. A nice alternative to the expensive places.
Really enjoyed this one...(though I dont think I could choose my favorite: like most of what you write...) Glad for you, that's really a gem found-I'm green with envy -the good kind- love reading for hours, if I just can take the time to... the pics are inviting, too...
I loved this! Can't wait to find this shop when I come back after Winter Break!!
Post a Comment