Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A City and its Harbor

This afternoon I returned to the Boston Harbor—my favorite place on the American North. This winter afternoon, not as cold as usual, I realized that I am a romantic, but practical person.

The city of Boston holds a special place in my heart. It is the place where my family immigrated to when we left the Dominican Republic seven years ago. I went to university for two years in Boston. I lived in a small apartment in Boston’s North End, which is right on the Boston Harbor. The Atlantic Ocean became my companion as I spent many afternoons looking at the ocean and reflecting on life’s mysteries. This afternoon I have returned—simply to dream some more and continue to further understand the minutes that go by.

As you know, I grew up in the Caribbean, surrounded by a bright blue sea and an agitated Atlantic Ocean. Today, I continue to stare at the Atlantic Ocean, only thousands of miles to the north of the Tropic of Cancer.
  
As the waves hit the shore I wonder what is there on the other side of the oceanic borderline. The ocean is quite mysterious, just like everyday life. We can only infer what the next day holds for us. And sometimes I just want to infer. Many times I don’t want to know—I like to be surprised—sometimes that is the beauty of life; waking up to explore, to walk the streets of our neighborhoods, just to end up in another place at the end of the day.

I sit on the Harbor only to stare, think, remember, and enjoy a lovely afternoon, not as cold as usual, in the American North. I have decided to stared and be romantic—sometimes it is worth it. I walk through life with a romantic view and realistic steps. I analyze the abstract, romanticize about the mare, while assembling life’s puzzle.

Tomorrow afternoon I will be far away from here—back in the American South again. I say goodbye to a city of dreams and its harbor.

I continue to walk through life on this lovely afternoon—not as cold as usual.

Just thinking…



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! i will like to visit Boston one day.

suz said...

I just can say: great writing..Loved it!!!! could feel it almost physically...
Great work...keep thinking...

Jennifer Fabulous said...

This post is so inspiring...nothing seems more magical than to stare out at an ocean you've known your whole life and yet don't really know at all...

I haven't been to Boston since I was two but I am longing to visit there again. There is so much history and beautiful architecture I want to see with my own eyes. It is quite a fascinating city. You're lucky to call it home!

Jennifer Fabulous said...

PS. I gave you an award on my blog!

La pasamos bien/Nos portamos mal said...

Acabo de volver de vacaciones, no fue toda la joda pero estubo todo muy tranquilo. Me relaje y me olvide de todo en Buenos Aires. Vos cuando te vas de vacaciones vos?

Melanie's Randomness said...

This is such a beautiful post. I like how you said the "ocean is like everday life" in its mysteries. You really are intuned to your surroundings. That's such a wondeful quality about you. Have a safe trip back to school!!!

Unknown said...

I loved this blog, sometimes one forgets to see the beauty and who lucky I am to live in Boston. It is nice to be reminded.

veronica said...

this is my second favorite blog. haha. i love the city*