Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's a New Decade

As we move onto a new decade I continue to think of all the advancements we made in the 2000’s, particularly in the net.

I remember that just eight years ago, in 2002, way back in seventh grade, I used to do some of my homework assignments using my grandfather’s encyclopedia. Today, Wikepedia is the way to go…or even Google most of the times.

It is quite interesting how anyone can have access to all sorts of information in a matter of seconds. We no longer have to search what we need alphabetically, through volumes of thick, heavy books.

Here is another example of how much we have advanced internet wise.




Last month I was not feeling too well. I wanted to visit the doctor, but Student Health had already closed. My symptoms were not severe, thus I decided to wait until next morning to visit the doctor.In the mean time, I wanted to know what was wrong with me. I decided to search my symptoms on Google. That’s when I found freeMD.com’s Virtual Doctor.

Based on my symptoms, virtual doctor was able to diagnose what was wrong with me—all for free. Of course, I didn’t trust him completely. I went to Student Health in the morning. The real doctor then confirmed what the doctor from the web had suspected the night before.

I do not want to sound like a grandpa who is captivated by the web, but it is fascinating to go back and think about who we were in terms of technology only a decade ago.


What will this decade bring us?

Just thinking…



2 comments:

Jennifer Fabulous said...

It's funny, I was just having this conversation with my editor yesterday. The internet has evolved so drastically in such a short period of time. I remember getting my first e-mail address in 1997, when I was in eighth grade and the only person I could e-mail was my dad b/c nobody else I knew had even heard of the internet yet. And now people have it on their phones. Wtf?
Yeah, I can't even imagine what the world is going to be like ten years from now. Internet chips in our brains? Hehe. :P

Bobby said...

After these past 10 years--seeing how much the world has grown and progressed--I look ahead with hope and I am inspired to work hard and be a part of our ever-changing society.
I know there will be challenges and struggles, but I believe that they will serve as teachers so that our collective future will be a bright one.