It is a road trip from Charlottesville, Virginia to New York City; at least that is the plan. About a seven-hour drive, a few stops in between, some snacks, a short nap (why not?), and a very busy weekend ahead.
I am on my way to Columbia University in New York City this weekend, where a Model United Nations conference will take place.
Model UN is an academic simulation of the United Nations that helps students understand how the organization works. Students take the roles of diplomats and participate in simulated meetings and committee sessions.
This weekend, I will take the role of Mexican Secretary of Interior, Fernando Francisco Gómez-Mont Urueta. He is a cabinet member in the Mexican government. A real person indeed. However, I am not even a college graduate yet. At Model UN that is definitely not a problem. Far from reality, but certainly exploring what it could one day be.
I am quite excited about this trip. I not only get to become a diplomat for a weekend, but also the opportunity to come back to New York City. After all, it is the city with something for everyone, and everyone seems to be part of it.
Cloudy skies and cold weather have been prognosticated for the NYC. I am taking the rain coat and the umbrella. The weather cannot intervene with this trip. If anything, it will add to the essence of fall in the American North.
I am now leaving South for North—just for the weekend. I will be back in Charlottesville sooner, rather than later. Of course, with a broader knowledge of the United Nations, and the inexplicable New York feeling that brings me back to the city every season.

5 comments:
Great!!! Good for you!!! Every step taken toward growing, learning, knowing is a worth one...say hello to NYC for me...
I know that you will use this opportunity to learn as much as you can about foreign policy and diplomatic relations. Please take notes for me! I want to work for the UN General Assembly someday..but first UNESCO. :)
What an exciting opportunity! I've had a few friends who have participated in the Model UN and I have to say it is a wealth of information. You will learn SO much! And it is an experience you will never forget. It is also a great way to make new friends and connect with people who share the same passions as you. :)
Have fun and good luck!
awesome!!! have fun :)
Wow, that sounds like an awesome trip! It's really going to be an excellent learning experience aout the UN- I hope I can do it when I'm older! :3
Post a Comment