Now that I am back at home I am appreciative of the fact that my mother cooks almost every evening—and her dishes taste very good. Eating her food reminds me of everything I go through when I go back to school in terms of eating.
You see, I love homemade meals, who does not? Thus when I moved to school I attempted to learn how to cook. I refused to eat the cafeteria food that simply tasted like chemicals.
My first week away from home I tried to cook a Dominican dish—the very basic—rice and beans with some chicken.
My first week away from home I tried to cook a Dominican dish—the very basic—rice and beans with some chicken.
I called my grandma. She cooks great—just like every grandma.
“Grandma, how do I cook rice and beans with chicken?” I asked.
She proceeded to list a series of ingredients that I did not have. After all, she lives in New York City where there is a large community of Dominicans and hence a variety of Dominican products available at the supermarkets.
“Well, grandma, I just have onions, garlic, adobo GOYA, and the rice, beans, and chicken…” I said.
The fact of the matter is that I attempted to cook the dish with what I had. It is called survival—according to Darwin’s Selection Theory. That night, I was determined to survive by cooking my Dominican homemade dish.
“Grandma, how much water do I put in the rice?” I asked.
“You just look at it and see…” she said.
“What is that supposed to mean?” I reacted.
“You just look at the pot and see that the water is above the rice.” She explained one more time.
I was simply clueless. I then asked her…“How do you know when the beans are ready?”
She said… “You just look at them…”
Oh grandma…
From that day on when I cook I call my grandma so she can tell me the process of cooking the recipe. However, at the same time, I search the recipe on Google, just so I can get the measurements.
How was I supposed to know how to cook something based on sight if I had never seen it cooked before?!!!
You got to love grandmas and their cooking skills.
Just thinking…


6 comments:
You really do have a great blog here. I have a blog myself which brings inspiration and guidance to people all around the world. Life is hard enough, and I hope my site can contribute anything positive to someone's day.
I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around between each other. Please let me know if this is possible. Until then, keep up the good work.
Jason
TheWISDOMWALL.com
Omg my mom does that to me alll the time!!!! She'll be in another room & will ask me to add some water or check to see if something's done & I'll be like how much? or How can you tell? She answers,
"Ohh well you just gotta look at it!"
I don't get it either. hehe. Thank You GOOGLE!!! =)
thank u again hun for your sweet comments!! =) *Hugs*
haha!! yep. gotta love grandma's. And, i noticed a can with "goya" on it in the picture. I've been wandering for years what that means. I always see "goya" on foods on the hispanic isle of the supermarket.
Thanks for checking out my blog! I wish I was in college still! :) I hope I can give you some tips about the "real world."
haha I can't cook either! That dish sounds complicated...try something simpler first like pizza or a simple pasta dish. :)
Hahaha this post made me smile because I'm still going through the same thing right now. Ever since I moved on my own a year ago, cooking has been a challenge. It's tricky, but with practice, you can really get the hang of it! I have absolutely no doubt that after a few tries, you are going to be a natural at making some of your favorite Dominican dishes!
Oh gosh and just saying that makes my stomach growl. Lol.
What are some of your favorite Dominican meals? You should post recipes some time if you get the chance. I would love to make them too. We could give each other cooking tips on each dish! :P
I know exactly how you feel except my mother's the great cook ^_^
Post a Comment