Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Popping the Bubble in an Upside-Down World

Sometimes I think that I know myself; that I understand my cultural and social identity; that I comprehend the world around me, its people and its rules—but I know that it is all a lie.

In reality I do not know anything—at least just yet; life has not even started for me.

I live in a bubble. I try to pop it, but it is not time.

You see, I come from the middle of the Caribbean, where mulattas walk down the streets of solitude to the rhythm of salsa, tobacco, and rum. And although my inner heat rises in the Caribbean Sea, and my roots are attached to the rich soil of a half an island positioned under a sizzling sun, I live in the American north.

Thus my culture is a rollercoaster of downs and ups—blending rice with fries, merengue and rock. I now find myself at the mall, rather than the beach; I live in an upside-down world. And sometimes, just like Guatemalan artist Ricardo Arjona would ask, I think what if the North was the South…“Indigenous and dark would be the cool look; Castro would run stocks in Wall Street; the Yankees would run to Tijuana; and the boats would go from Miami to Havana.”

But in reality the North is not the South, and although I come from the South, I live in the North.

I have no definite identity—a continent’s geography has destroyed, yet built who I am—I just don’t know it yet.

I am not ready to pop the bubble.

Just thinking...


5 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

I've felt this way before. It was the moment I stepped into my dorm room at college. I had a moment where I thought omg I'm outside the "bubble"...I made it I'm out...now I gotta live in it. You have an identity. It's in your words. It's in your school work. It's your emotion. Never forget where you come from, so let it be part of you in your identity. I'm trying to find myself too. I somehow put myself back in a bubble. If we don't pop it tho how can we ever truly know ourselves? =) Pop that bubble a lil, see where it takes you dear. =)

Jennifer Fabulous said...

I think this is how a lot of Americans feel or have felt. This world is built on immigrants.
I know at first it's kind of a struggle. My dad came here from India 40 years ago and went through a similar experience. You're so used to your own culture, your own way of doing things, that it's kind of a shock to be immersed into a completely different world. But you have to accept it. And you have to find a way of keeping your culture, while embracing the new one. Find a balance. It's hard. :S
But you're not alone!!
And I think what makes every American unique is that each person comes from such a rich culture and we all come together to bring the best of our heritage together. :)

Teach.Workout.Love said...

thanks for finding me on blogger :)
i will be writing back to your email shortly.

Carolina said...

this is absolutely beautiful!!
I really can't even express how it made me feel.

I wasn't born in a different country, I was born here. But I can only imagine that its difficult to feel like one has to lose some sense of self identity to fit in or assimilate or try to, atleast.

I'm glad you found my blog and thank you for commenting. I will definitely subscribe to you...you write beautifully!

veronica said...

this is by far my favorite blog post from u man!!!!! u write soooo well, i don't have much to say other than u inspire me.... to look beyond my petty day to day situations... to reach for the freakin stars... to fight for what i believe in... to never give up on my dreams...i truly valu ur friendship... distance will NEVER separate our friendship!!!!!!