I was recently reading a friend’s blog when I came across a new blog titled “A Journey to Bones.” I thought the title was quite catchy, thus I clicked on the link to find out about it. The blog completely surprised me, not because it presents interesting ideas and great writing, but because it portrays the ever-so-real journey of a 5’4 teenage girl to weight 95 pounds.
Oh, los locos and their physical image of the world.
I understand bulimia very well. One of my cousins in the Dominican Republic was bulimic for a long period last year. When I came to Santo Domingo in the summer, I could not recognize this gorgeous young girl, whose bones structure was clearly visible through her skin. Due to the proportion of my arms in comparison to her body mass, it was extremely sad to see her get lost in my hugs. Fortunately she is doing much better—eating healthier and exercising regularly. However, the desire to fit the image of a cosmopolitan girl who is the “perfect size” made her ugly and brought many tears to my family.
And here I am, reading the “Journey to Bones” of another bulimic girl; this time in the American north; this time not so close to home. Nevertheless, I still cannot believe that someone can begin a blog with the sole purpose of finding support for her rituals of starvation, fasting, and induced vomiting. It is even more unfortunate that this young teen has the support of 24 followers, most of whom are other teenage girls on a journey to bones.
“You're right, we can do this!! Today will be great for both of us,” one of the girls tells her as she proposes a day of fasting.
“Good luck with your fast!” another one says.
She continues her posts by writing: "Keep going girls, starve on for all you have,
we will be thin, and nobody can stop us."
She continues her posts by writing: "Keep going girls, starve on for all you have,
we will be thin, and nobody can stop us."
I can’t seem to understand why these girls support the slow death of one another. Why would anyone support an individual's suicidal mentality?
I ask, would there be a difference between this "Journey to Bones" and a blog where someone counts down to the day when he/she will take a gun and kill themselves?
I think not.


6 comments:
Wow, that's horrible. I have heard about websites that support eating disorders and where the members encourage one another. I was hoping that the trend would slowly die off and that people wouldn't resort to blogs/forums in order to gain support and seek advice, but clearly that isn't the case.
I guess that's the problem with a blog- anyone can read it and sometimes offer poisonous and destructive advice. With a personal, handwritten diary a bulimic can keep their thoughts private and secretive, yet a blog is open to everyone...including people who will encourage you to do what is ultimately going to end up killing you. Horrible.
So happy your cousin is on the road to recovery though.
Some people are so, so ignorant. These girls probably have no concept of the reality they are pursuing. They want to be thin, they just don't realize bulimia/anorexia most often results in death.
When I was in college, I did a paper on the popularity of ana/mia websites where it's exactly what you talked about. Girls joining together to encourage each other on their journey through bulimia and anorexia. It's frightening.
Unfortunately these girls are so disillusioned, it doesn't matter who tries to stop them. They often don't realize how horrible things are until they are near death or witness it themselves...
Great topic today, Aquiles.
oh u've posted an interesting thing here. It is sad that they support each other in something so horrible and unhealthy :/ I think i've heard of blogs like that before on tv or something.
Being natural and just the way you are is the most beautiful thing which makes us all unique and this world a wonderful place. I wish they could see that instead of starving themselves like that. :/ I guess fashion magazines, where they have skinny models that look beautiful can be something to blame because they compare themselves to that and feel like they arent as beautiful as them which is completely untrue.
anyways ty for stopping by my blog and commenting :D have a great day!
Woa. I don't understand this either. I don't want to bad-mouth a blogger who's speaking her mind but seriously??? Doesn't she realize bulimia & anorexia can kill a person. The "bones" metaphor may accidenitally have a double meaning. I'm shocked & don't understand this one bit.
wow. some people are just crazy for not appreciating the precious life that we have. great on post :)
I have nothing to say about that absurd idea, it is sick, and sad that htey have no on in their lives to giude them to help them...I know it is a problem a mental problem, and I am very familiar with mental problems, why cant someone help them, do they not have parents that love them? sisters taht care? friends? no one? this sickenss me.....
Post a Comment