Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Popping the College Bubble


I live in what I like to describe as an academic bubble—on a constant rush; learning new ideas on a daily basis; exploring the past; applying the present to the future; questioning; and challenging what is common. While I particularly enjoy these methods of academic learning, sometimes I only wish I could pop the bubble and explore the world and its reality.

I see it all the time—peers who engage in academic discussions where the people of the world become rational individuals who apply theories and hypothesis to their daily lives, disregarding the real people of this world; those who have to work hard, many times double shifts, to put food on the table; those who simply do not have the time to apply fancy theories to their daily lives.

Sometimes I just want to run as fast as I can and pop the academic bubble in which I live.

The university to which I attend is located in a college town, on the mountains of Virginia, far away from civilization. Thus it is hard to maintain a connection with the real world, for on a daily basis I only interact with students and professors. It is only at the airport on my way back home, or on the bus on my way to buy groceries that I get to see real individuals taking a plane or the bus to different places in the world.

I am an individual who is thirsty for knowledge. As I learn new theories, my past and its effects on the present, and acquire new analytical skills—I discover the world through the eyes of scholars and experts. I fear going blind when the time of popping the bubble and exploring the real world arrives.  

Just thinking...

7 comments:

Belle Armed said...

Yes indeed I am. I need some vacation and my dad needs the company so I'm going tomorrow morning. looking forward to it!

angel6033 said...

I agree with you, I hope to soon be a part of that bubble, but I have many friends that dream in "college world" its great and wonderful but so often not real. I think that nothing beats learning and experiencing yourself, through life. Sometimes the ideas college teaches are way to Idealistic, and in no way can be conveyed in "real life"....

Anonymous said...

i love the photo!

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ah yes the academic bubble. I like how you put translate feelings to words. Walking around campus made me feel like I was in a snowglobe kinda trapped & everytime I left school to go home I would take a breath & embrace the real world. Maybe you should try to find a balance between the two words so you don't feel so trapped in the bubble. I know your dorming but maybe there are buses to take you off campus, to remind you that there is a world out there & it's not too far off the the acamedic part. or maybe you need a lil break, just don't do any schoolwork for a few hours & just relax & be you for a lil while. Oh hun I wish you the best of luck.

Hanna Holliday said...

love!

La pasamos bien/Nos portamos mal said...

Alquiles, Alquiles te escribo medio rapido que estoy a mil. Me voy a ingles, pocas gande de ir pero bueno, hay que seguir aprendiendo. Veras que no estoy mucho en el blog ultimamente, no tanto como antes y es algo lamentable pero la vida es asi y hay reglas y tiempos que cumplir y uno se uqeda sin tiempo para los blogs, vistes? Bueno te mando un beso grande, respondeme en ingles alguna que otra vez, y te voy a ecribir en ingles para que vea que lo que estoy estudiando, hace efecto. Gracias por el favor y un beso.
pd: Me gustaria saber en que andas? que hay de tu vida? van bien los estudios?

La pasamos bien/Nos portamos mal said...

wow, i have just come from english and i entered to the blog and i saw your comment, its great: i understund a big part. And im happy because of that.

Appart of that, you are close the summer but i am close the winter, and the school again. Of course, i dont like studying but i know that is nessesary so i am planning to be better than the last year.
Kisses, cindy