Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Other Face of New York City





Last week in New York City I stopped at this flower corner-stand to buy some flowers for my grandma. There I met Jessica, a twenty-some year old Mexican immigrant who lives with her brothers and sisters in a very small apartment in uptown Manhattan. She represents the other face of the city, the one we don't see on "Sex and the City" or Hollywood films. Her dreams are many, the opportunities minimal. And although she tells me things have been very tough for the last two years that she has been in the United States, she takes the time to smile for the camera, wrap some beautiful flowers, and continue the dream on the corner of 157th st. and Broadway ave.  


Just thinking...

2 comments:

evelyn said...

awwww :)

angel6033 said...

thats the absolute truth! I love this post what a great reminder to both sides of the story.