Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Nature of Adaptation


As human beings we are constantly adapting. Perhaps it is human nature. We move from cold to tropical weather; experience new systems and cultures; meet new people and integrate into different societies. While it might be tough to start off anew, we are certainty capable of doing so. After all, the strongest will survive, at least according to Darwin. 

Last fall I moved from Boston to Virginia to continue my undergraduate education. I must admit that was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I moved to a city I had never been to before the transition; in a place far away from family and friends; in a different geographic and cultural side of the United States. Last September I wrote:

Home is a state of mind that makes us feel comfortable, secure, happy, yet again, attached, accepted, and understood. I have changed this place I call home for a few seasons. However, the change has been tough; transitioning has not been easy.This place down in the American South is simply not home, at least not yet.

Today, as a warmer spring breeze approaches the American South, I have finally adapted to this city, the state, and its people. This is the place I wanted to come back to this weekend as I waited for my flight from NYC to Richmond, VA. This is the place where I currently feel "comfortable, secure, happy, attached, accepted, and understood." 

I am human and I have adapted. However, I am not sure if I have adapted to VA because I like this place or because I was naturally forced to adapt in order to survive. The American South has become another home, far away from home. 

Just thinking,


3 comments:

Jennifer Fabulous said...

This post made me smile. I know it sounds terribly cliche, but I have always believed the saying that the "home is where the heart is." Because it's so true. Home really is where you feel most comfortable and where your loved ones are. I believe we can all have more than one home. You obviously do.

I am glad you have grown comfortable at school and realize you are a part of the community. Isn't it a wonderful and cozy feeling? :)

Brent said...

Aquiles - Thanks for the comment on my post. 2 of the trophies are for youth baseball league championships. Both 2nd place. Never could seem to win one of those. The other is from youth soccer. I also have a couple friends doing animation. They say its a hard deal right now to get a job. Do you mind linking me to your youtube? I have yet to master Final Cut. I've been using Adobe Premier. I should make the switch though.

-In regards to your experiences, I find it awesome that you have adapted. Los Angeles, being my home that I've grown up in all of my life, I just can't imaging living out my days anywhere else. I would love to experience living in other cities, but the task just seems so daunting when I think about it. It's good to hear that even if the transition is tough, we would eventually adapt and find it to be another home. Thanks for sharing bro.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first comment! Home is where the heart is!